July 22, 2008

The Dark Knight

Committed acting + great effects + non-stop action = knockout sequel

Wow, it is hard to think of what to say about this movie, even two days after seeing it! It was fantastic and worth every single bit of high praise from the other 'critics'. Usually, a movie doesn't get such a strong word-of-mouth from 'established' sources, but it turned out to be true. I would have to say that this is one of the top 40 or so movies that I have seen; it's an all-around tight package. The plot was the weakest part of the entire production, but even that is hard to criticize. The acting in it brings to mind words like "fearless", on everyone's part, not just Heath Ledger's (more on him in a moment; see 'Comments')

I can't wait to see it again; I am already planning an IMAX venture. Normally, I would not pay $12+ to see anything except for Cirque du Soleil or one of my few favorite bands, much less a movie (Hey, when we are talking about a "volume" of film-going like mine, you have to pinch some pennies somewhere!). I cannot wait to see how the action unfolds, now that I am more familiar with the plot, and I want to watch it spin past in super-duper-widescreen format.

I can't comment on the technical aspects of the movie right now; I was too busy watching the characters to care about something like that. Usually, I only notice the film-making when I am
a) annoyed by the crud-iness of it,
b) bored
c) entranced by it's beauty and utterly charmed
this film didn't do any of the above for me because it is like Teflon; professionally slick.

Now, on to a discussion of the performances (which you can't help but notice):
Aaron Eckhart- Usually amusing, if not great, he really made it look easy to embody a golden-boy who is the reciprocal of Batman. I was very impressed and wished that they had left his conversion to Two-Face until the next movie so that it could have been relished at greater length. (As it was, I started to worry that Chris Nolan was falling prey to the same desire to stuff too many villains in one movie--ex: Batman Forever, Batman & Robin) The Two-Face make-up was horrifically grisly.
Maggie Gyllenhaal- Miles more convincing than Katie Holmes as a woman who could attract a nearly-sociopathic 'good guy' like Bruce Wayne and still hold her own. In particular, I admired her confident, sensual swagger--like any good weapon, she hid it away until she needed it. Continuity of actors is important to me, but in this case, I am all for seeing more of Ms. Gyllenhaal. I don't think the audience would have been nearly so involved if they had watched Holmes in the role, particularly in the warehouse scene (nope, no spoilers here).
Michael Caine- He brings such a posh elder-cool to Alfred Pennyworth that you begin to forget about his official 'butler' status while he is a calm touchstone and foil for Bruce's passionate convictions. Can I have a grandfather like him?
Christian Bale- I don't know why he can still surprise me with his acting ability (I should expect almost-flawless work from him by now), but even behind a mask, he can still carry the show while subtly stealing it. This in light of the fact that there was a greater 'Batman: Bruce' ratio in this movie than Batman Begins (nearly all 'Bruce: Batman'). Really, who else can be so pleasant to watch when all you can see is his teeth? And cute, pointy little teeth that they are...
Morgan Freeman- Also has a corner of the "elder-cool" market like Caine which he usually uses, even in disasters like The Big Bounce. This time he was not only bemused, but believably conflicted by his employer's antics. His character is one of the most human.

Sequels are typically not as good as the first movie, but this one blows its predecessor out of the water. maybe after I've had another viewing and more time to let it sink in will I be able to be more articulate than "Wow"...
For my commentary on Ledger's performance, see 'Comments'

1 comment:

Naps-a-lot Bear said...

I'm gong to try to make this discussion as minimally schmaltzy as possible. There are going to be tons of conversations on the tragic genius of Heath Ledger over the coming months; particularly if he does get the Oscar nomination (which he does indeed deserve for this performance).

While I watched the Joker chew the scenery (and spit it out), I could forget that this maniac in front of me was HL. As far as I am concerned, his Joker almost exists on his own, independent of a familiar-faced actor who is no longer with us. I heard that HL worked for a month on the Joker's mannerisms, and it paid off in a big way. A tipsy-bullfrog is what the Joker could have reminded me of, with all of his swaying and tics, but he was more terrifying than that. I don't know what more to say; it was an astounding performance unlike any other that I have seen for the same character. I am not even sure that I have seen any actor sell a character so effectively.

I am glad that all of the production-work was done on The Joker before this January, when HL was no longer available. It would have been almost disrespectful and pale to have another person try to patch things up for the missing player; it would not have had the same integrity, I think.

The one thing that I am sad about is that there will likely not be any Joker in subsequent Batman sequels. They should make many more, but unfortunately, I think his arch-nemesis will have to be left safely in Arkham Asylum's padded cells. This latest incarnation cannot be topped, in my opinion; nor should anyone try. Perhaps it is sweeter for all of its rarity, but there you have it.